Monday, September 14, 2015

Infertility Can Be Funny Sometimes

Life is a funny thing and boy, do I love to laugh. My last few posts have been on some experiences that have been less than happy. I think in any situation we have to find the positives and the things that make us laugh. Those moments give us some relief from the problems that we face. So I've decided to recount some of the funnier things that infertility has brought to us! 

  • Having to explain to my husband why I am grabbing my boobs. I, of course, want to make sure that they are really "tender" and I'm not just imagining it. 
  • While visiting my German doctor, I would often try and decipher what she was saying. When she first told me that the surgery she was going to do was called "ovarian drilling" I thought there was a translation error. So I was pretty horrified to learn that it was actually the real name. 
  • Then while googling "ovarian drilling," I came across a video on youtube that showed the whole procedure. I was watching it during some down time at work, and had to explain to my boss what I was looking at. He immediately walked out of my office shaking his head.
  • After my surgery, I talked for 2 hours and I have no recollection of it. My sweet friends listened to me talk about how many languages I can count in, and asking them whether or not they wanted to see my boobs or about how bada** my other doctors mustache was. 
  • When people I know started reading my blog, I often got a lot of apologies, because people wanted to make sure that they were the ones that said anything on my list of "things your shouldn't say" to someone with infertility. And then the awkward conversation that follows with me trying to explain that it wasn't about them. 
  • The look on someone's face when after they ask if we are trying and respond with "Oh, yeah! We tried last night! We hope it took!" 
  • The look on someone's face when I say "I've got a couple bum ovaries so it's taking longer than expected!"
  • The time a doctor's wife told me that all I needed to do was wait a couple weeks or months and make sure my husband was "stopped up" and then his sperm would be "super strong."
  • The amount of times I slept with a pillow or two under my rear to create a "gravity" affect after a session of "trying."


  • The RIDICULOUS things I have cried about while on clomid: mountain dew, having one more pill to take, a swimsuit, my hair... the list could go on and on, but it might get embarrassing. 
  • The time my husband told my mom and sister the reason why he liked to eat hummus so much was because it raises sperm count!


There have been countless moments where I have laughed until I cried over the silly things that have happened throughout this journey. And, oh how I needed those times. I think laughter can really be the best medicine in times of trial. When we seek out positive and funny moments, we begin to see positively. Life is easy for no one, but everyone can find humor in it. 

What are some funny things that have happened to you while struggling with infertility? 

No comments:

Post a Comment